With the retirement of Coates, COO and CFO Brian Dowd will be the new CEO of ER Senior Management
ER Senior Management (ERSM) manages and operates independent retirement and full-service senior living campuses in Texas, Illinois, and Pennsylvania with future expansion into Missouri and Indiana. It is with a heavy heart and fond memories that we announce the well-deserved retirement of ERSM President and CEO Chris Coates.
When will Mr. Coates’ retirement be official?
On July 1, 2021, Chris began the exciting next chapter of his life. Fortunately, this isn’t the last we have heard of our fearless leader. He will continue to be a Principal and Board Member for the Evergreen Companies going forward.
What were Mr. Coates’ contributions to the senior living industry?
Having been in the senior housing industry for 48 years, Chris has been involved in all aspects of senior care.
Before he and Brian Dowd, COO and CFO of ERSM, founded ER Senior Management in 2010, Chris had been the President and COO of American Retirement Corporation. He was instrumental in taking the company public via an IPO in 1997 and also helped grow the company into a $400 million owner and operator of 65 senior living properties, including several large entrance fee continuing care (CCRC) or Life Plan communities.
- 1973 – 1980: Chris worked with Christian Home Services, Inc. and Christian Services, Inc, a developer and operator of not-for-profit retirement communities. He was involved in several capacities, including Executive Director, Vice President of Operations, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.
- To provide operational management, marketing, and consulting services primarily to not-for-profit continuing care retirement communities, Chris founded National Retirement Consultants, Inc. in 1980.
- 1985 – 1988: Prior to his time at NRC, Chris was the Senior Director and Division President of the Retirement Housing Division of Radice Corporation. He oversaw the development and operation of several full-service retirement communities.
- 1988 – 1993: Chris served as Founder and Chief Executive Officer of National Retirement Company (NRC). Partnered with a Boston-based private equity firm, he directed the acquisition, development, and/or management of seven large full-service retirement communities. These included over 800 independent living, assisted living, and nursing care units. In addition, NRC provided property management, asset management, and consulting services to several third party owners and lenders, including Bank of Boston, Southeast Bank, CitiBank, and the federal agency, Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC).
- Senior housing organizations: Chris is also active in promoting and improving senior housing nationally for more than 30 years. He has served as the former Chairman of both the American Senior Housing Association and of the Assisted Living Federation of America (now known as Argentum). He helped start the first Seniors Housing Political Action Committee, was an early member of the National Investment Center, and served on its Owner’s Advisory Counsel for several years. Chris has also been active in pursuing tort reform in Florida and Texas.
Who will be the new CEO of ERSM?
As Chris steps down, we welcome Brian Dowd, current Principal, COO and CFO, as the new CEO of ERSM.
“Chris and I started from day one with the goal to be a compassionate leader in the senior living space with the highest quality tier of operations, management, and consulting services,” said Brian Dowd. “I am filled with gratitude to continue the work we’ve started together alongside our teams and continue our company’s goals and mission.”
“I have every confidence in Brian taking the reins from here, and I look forward to seeing the continued growth of ER Senior Management,” said Mr. Coates. “There is no better team leading the full-service senior living industry in the years to come than ours.”
Brian has more than 25 years of senior housing, commercial real estate finance, and asset management experience. While serving as COO of ER Senior Management, he will continue to oversee the company’s management business with a focus on asset and financial management.
Over the course of his career as an advisor, lender or principal, Mr. Dowd has participated in commercial real estate and senior housing-related transactions in excess of $10 billion in asset management, first mortgage lending and loan restructures, and CCRC senior housing investments.
What’s next for ERSM?
We are grateful for the vision and leadership Chris established for ER Senior Management. He created a solid foundation based on his years of experience in the industry to have our company become the desired choice for seniors and families.