As seniors begin their journey into retirement, many options are presented to them when it comes to living arrangements. Sometimes these decisions are made based on the level of care needed with services such as assisted living or memory care. The type of care will also indicate how often a senior will be moving around. Although independent living is meant for seniors who need the least assistance, it still provides socialization, lawn care, transportation, meals, housekeeping, and more.
Overall, this can be daunting to think about while also creating an unstable environment for our loved ones if they live alone. “Aging in place” at a senior living community is an attractive option that provides stability and unbeatable comfort. Here at The Craig in Amarillo, TX, our seniors are living happily by aging in place with our luxurious homes and expert level care.
“Aging in place” is a term used when a senior decides to stay in one place for the remainder of their lives. “More than three-quarters of Americans aged 50 or older want to stay in their own home for as long as possible, even if they will need assistance.” (via caring.com) For seniors who are able to age in place, there are many benefits available. Aging in place offers the comfort and familiarity that one has grown used to. This includes closeness to family and friends along with familiar surroundings and daily activities. When you age in your own home and know there are care services available as you need them and all in the same setting like The Craig, you’re able to live in comfort and stability.
The Craig in Amarillo offers many types of care based on the needs of your loved one. Here are some of the services The Craig offers with an option to “age in place” within the same community.
What Falls Under Assisted Living?
Assisted living is offered to those who can live independently but require assistance along the way. Our senior living community in Amarillo wants you to continue to enjoy the things you love by helping with the activities of daily life. Levels of assistance can be customized depending on the individual’s needs. Some aspects of The Craig’s assisted living program are:
- Three meals daily
- Weekly housekeeping, linen changes
- 24-hour nursing supervision
- Activities and social events
- Basic utilities
- Cable television
- Scheduled transportation
- Monitoring of health status
- Special diets, as needed
- Scheduled night checks, as needed
- Medication management
- Bathing assistance
- Dressing assistance
- Assistance to and from dining room
- Occasional nursing treatments
What Type of Service is Memory Care?
Aging in place at The Craig plays an important role should a resident require memory care services. Seniors who require this service enjoy the comfort and familiarity of a secure environment while receiving guidance at The Craig’s Amarillo Alzheimer’s Care Center. Some daily activities offered in this program include:
- Exercise/physical activity
- Cognitive stimulation
- Social interaction
- Spiritual/faith based activities
- Personal time
- Music activities
- Sensory stimulation
- Pet visitation
- Moments of Memory (MOM)
- Art appreciation and creation
- Spa/massage/barber shave
The Craig also provides various activities throughout the year which include integration with children and teens like movie nights and gardening.
What is Skilled Nursing?
The Craig has been providing high quality skilled nursing care for over 20 years. The individual care that goes into each resident does not go unnoticed. Not only are The Craig’s Care Plan Team providing personalized medical care, they are also making sure that everyone is able to enjoy their lives socially. Some of the services provided by the Care Plan Team are:
- A lifestyle centered on engaging with others
- Comfortable home-like setting
- Freedom from the restraints of an institutional schedule
- Wide range of daily and weekly social activities
- Assistance with daily activities
- High levels of clinical care at all times
- Personal laundry
- Bed and bath linens
- Scheduled medical transportation
At The Craig, the skilled medical team encourages seniors to “recover and restore” to your home life in Amarillo. The community’s highly trained physical therapists are there to aid in recovery from medical treatments or other physical conditions. All patients receive a private room to rehabilitate at ease. The Craig’s rehab patients receive individualized care to make an efficient transition back to everyday life. Some features of The Craig’s rehab center include:
- Round-the-clock certified nursing staff, including RNs seven days a week
- Medical director with constant check-ups
- Geriatric pharmacy consultation
- Daily housekeeping
- Personal laundry service
- Bed and bath linens provided
- Three delicious meals daily
- Therapeutic diets as needed
- All utilities, including basic cable TV
- Planned program of wellness activities
- Registered dietician and social worker
- Courtesy beverage service daily
- Medical transportation (accompanied by a Certified Nurse Aide for an additional fee)
Other services available for a nominal charge:
- Beauty salon/barber shop services
- Guest apartment for overnight family visits (with reservations)
Even though The Craig offers unbeatable home living arrangements for seniors to age in place, there are other options available, upon request. Respite care provides relief to families and caregivers who require short-term aid due to vacation, illness, ailments, weather disaster, emergency situations, or other unexpected circumstances. Short-term residents will live in a fully-furnished apartment and receive care as needed, with access to the community’s amenities during their stay. Although aging in place is something that our seniors are finding more comforting, when help is needed, The Craig’s respite care service is here for you.