Accidents happen, sometimes no matter what you do, but that does not mean you should do nothing to prevent them, especially when it comes to in-home accidents, where you can control things more easily. Here are some tips you need to follow in order to prevent domestic accidents. This is not an exhaustive list, but it can help you prevent most in-home injuries caused by falls, suffocation, poisoning and sharp objects – to which children and seniors are most prone.
- Store potentially dangerous products (including drugs) in places that children cannot reach
- When you use cleaning products, always leave the window open. Never mix cleaning products with each other: chlorine and ammonia can result in very dangerous toxic gas emissions.
- Be careful where you put the knives. Do not to cover them with towels and void leaving them in the in sink, partially or totally covered with water, because you risk to not see them and cut yourself.
- Do not walk on the wet floor, immediately after you have cleaned it. Besides the fact that you will leave unsightly marks, you can fall and hit yourself or worse.
- Do not leave toys or anything else on the stairs, if you have a house with more than one level.
- Leave a dim night light on in the hallways.
Like with any fall or injury trips to the physical rehabilitation centers can speed up recovery.